Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving and things that are not a radius

Cutest invitations ever :-D
Our class had its own Thanksgiving dinner last week and I just had to share the invitations made by the classmate who hosted! They're super cute :-) Dinner was awesome too. It was a blasty-blast, because everything with my classmates is a blasty blast (ah, that would be funnier if you were one of my classmates).

I was talking to one of our professors about something else and he told me that the instructors thought our class was one of the best in years in terms of working well together and integrating with the med students. Aw, that's nice to hear. Of course, hearing how we were the smartest people ever would have been super as well, but I'll take what I can get. There are worse things for people to be saying about us than that we're friendly and get along well.

Actually, it is really helpful having classmates you like. My husband was in town this weekend so I sequestered myself on campus to study for Monday's gross anatomy test while he took care of the kids (they went to the Museum of Life and Science on Saturday, the kids love it). Between Saturday and Sunday I spent 26 hours in the PA room. On Saturday I was in there with one classmate and on Sunday I was there with two different ones. Even though everyone was focused on studying their own stuff, it was still good to have company (especially since it gets a little eerie being in a building mostly by yourself), so when you have a question there is someone there to ask.

Someone even labeled our bones so you know which one isn't the radius!
Of course sometimes it can backfire. When we got our bone box (a suitcase full of model bones that we can take home and study at our leisure) one of our classmates pulled out the fibula and said, "Is this the radius?" and it has been a running gag ever since. Oh ha ha, the fibula is not the radius and we all know that only a mutant with freakishly long arms could ever have a fibula sized radius. Then on our practical we had a fibula and when I saw it I chuckled to myself about how it definitely wasn't the radius. It wasn't until I was at the next station that I realized that I had scribbled down radius as my answer because my subconscious has a sick sense of humor. That would have been horrifically embarrassing to get wrong! I don't think I ever would have lived it down.

I'm glad that test is over though. I am pretty sure I spent more time studying last week than not studying. Which makes this week, where we've been off since Monday, even more appreciated. I'm still studying this week because it isn't too much longer before we have our cumulative (that is a dirty word!) physiology exam, but no where near as intensely.

Oh, and because it is almost Thanksgiving I will take a moment to be grateful. I am incredibly thankful for my father for picking up and moving here so I could go to school and still have my kids with me. And to my mom for her support, prayers, and caring. I'm grateful for my husband who lets me neglect him when he comes to visit on a test weekends, and who I love like a crazy person. I'm grateful for getting to spend more time with my children, even though they are huge study distractions they bring so much affection and cuddling to my life. I am so grateful that I got into Duke and that I have the classmates I have, I can't imagine going through this without them. Also, I am extremely thankful for anti-anxiety drugs so I can take tests without throwing up. I'm thankful that everyone I love is healthy, and that I have so many people to love. I am sure there are a lot of things that I am forgetting, but that's a good list for now. :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment