Monday, October 21, 2013

Dear Durham, I miss you! And familiarity.

Just thought I might leave this link here... It is a fun town to live in. Meanwhile I went back to visit
this past weekend since I like seeing my Durham BFF on a regular. We made pies! Because at work on Friday, pies came up and it made everyone want pie. It carried over to my visit and Saturday evolved quickly from looking at yelp reviews for bakeries to deciding to spend our whole day baking. The results were pretty delicious, and can be seen at right. I also made cookies from the leftover crust dough used for the top two pies, and they were amazing.

It was a slow week at work last week and today was fairly quiet as well. All fairly normal routine specimens and I found myself today remembering what we were told in school, which is that if you can gross at Duke north and keep up, then you can gross anywhere.  And it makes more sense now. Outside of a major academic center, you tend to see a lot of the same things...a lot more horses than zebras. Which is nice, you start to get really comfortable with those familiar specimens. But because of the exposure from school, even if something unexpected and less familiar shows up on the grossing table, I can't imagine being at a loss as to what to do. Even if something I don't see as often pops up, I poke my head in the other PA's office and I ask her, follow her instructions, and feel relatively okay with what I've done. I can't imagine being anywhere and just feeling at a loss... even though I don't need to be able to do everything I saw in school every day, I'm fairly secure that if it came up, I could do it (maybe with a little extra guidance). No real point to this...just to say that I'm glad that I got the exposure so that if I need the experience, it is there.

No comments:

Post a Comment