Thursday, November 14, 2013

Flashback to rotations

Nothing specific, but an interaction with a random person in a store today reminded me of the weirdest experience with one of the residents.

Me on dictation: "The specimen (an aggregate of normally soft tissue) is diffusely indurated; however, no masses are grossly noted."

Two days later, the resident to my staff PA (that I'm standing next to), "Was there a mass in that specimen."

Staff PA, "No, I don't think so, but you can double check with [me]"

Me, "There wasn't a distinct mass, it was an aggregate and it was all relatively firm."

Resident, "But a mass would upstage the diagnosis, so I need to know if there was a measurable mass."

Me, "There was not a mass."

Resident, "Nevermind, I'll just pull the bucket and look at it myself."

Me, "..."

Sometimes some people just really need to see something with their own eyes to confirm or disprove a mental picture they've developed.... that mass was her Schrödinger's cat of tumors, neither there or not there until she directly observed it.

Plus, I'm pretty sure she always disliked me and when you don't like someone it taints all of your interactions with them. Luckily, I really only had to work with her on autopsy so it didn't impact the year too much (except... you know, on autopsy).


No comments:

Post a Comment