Tuesday, February 5, 2013

That is less helpful...

So yesterday I was going down the stairs leaving my friend's house and when I stepped off the last step I landed funny and dropped like a rock. It was not one of my more graceful moments! That resulted to a trip to Urgent Care this morning and x-rays. Apparently I injured it previously (but not that I explicitly noticed) and this fall just made it worse, and the folks at Urgent Care told me that I have fractured my ankle. I'll find out what that means in a practical sense tomorrow... for today I've been set up with a cast and a set of crutches.

I've also been given a prescription for Vicodin and instructions to minimize standing and try to keep my leg elevated. None of which goes well with clinical rotations, but the VA staff were very nice and arranged things so I could gross sitting down. I'm great as long as I don't have to walk anywhere! And I'm sure after I figure out how to actually walk with crutches, that part will get better as well.

In the meantime, I'm so glad to be home and finally resting. Elevation and ice are definitely helping to bring down my pain levels, which were getting pretty awful.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there!

    It seems a wonderful stroke of luck that I found your blog. I just graduated in December 2011 from Clemson with a B.S. in Biological Sciences and a GPA that seems insurmountable (a 2.62... not anything to phone home about, that's for sure). I also suffered from depression that interfered with my school performance. Never went to class, squeaked by with as little studying as I could, and slept constantly. In short, I was not a stellar student. I have since learned after graduating how to cope and am ready for round two with my educational journey. Like you, I worked in healthcare through college - I spent my four years in an Emergency Room.

    That being said, I am interested in pursuing a PA program and going the forensic route, performing autopsies, etc. I have just moved to the Columbia SC area and am wondering how many semesters/which classes you would recommend I take to get my GPA up? Any help would be much appreciated, feel free to email me at ewallis@g.clemson.edu. Thanks so much for writing this blog and telling your story, it has really made my night. I feel like I can get back on a successful career track now. I hope your studies are going well and that your ankle is healing quickly! Thanks again for the inspiration.


    All the best :)

    Emily

    ReplyDelete