Monday, December 5, 2011

My day was cooler than yours

I don't want to come off as weird or morbid or gruesome, but I had the coolest day ever today at school. I got to cut our cadaver's head off! It was amazing. It just isn't one of those things that happens very often and I'm glad that I got to do it. Would I want to do it a lot? No, probably not, but it was still really cool to get to do it once (The dens is really hard to cut through, by the way.). I got to stick my finger through the foramen magnum while we were checking our position and it was just so neat to trace the path of the spinal accessory nerves, the spinal arteries, etc. It is not an experience that most people will ever get to have and I feel lucky to have done it. I will never again have the opportunity to dissect a body so thoroughly. And for everyone who didn't come to gross anatomy (I'll talk about this in a separate blog entry) they missed out on that. It is completely their loss because that has been the best gross anatomy lab so far.

Quick, name all the structures!
This week is strange. We're not having a lot more new information presented but we're having clinical case information given to us and by taking patient history we're supposed to be able to go through the differential diagnosis process to decide what to test them for. They are mandatory for med students (well, mandatory-ish, since they aren't taking attendance) but optionally mandatory for us. The one today did go over some of the material and we will probably remember that course material better than the things we didn't have in symposium, but for the time it took it wasn't high yield study time. Oh, and when you ask a bunch of PA students what tests to run on someone with abnormal uterine bleeding you get answers like "Let's do an endometrial biopsy!" in addition to the blood tests you're probably after.

It looks to be a fairly light week, which is good because everybody is in a state of semi-panic over the upcoming exams. It is a terrifying amount of information to be tested on in just one week. It should be doable. I keep telling myself that it is doable. I am hopeful, oh so hopeful... and yet so very scared at the same time. I spent this past weekend studying, I'll study tonight after I finish writing this, I'll study for two hours tomorrow morning before class starts, an hour over lunch, and all tomorrow night.

My kids started basketball week, but my dad is taking my oldest for practice tomorrow and my husband and my dad will take both kids to their separate practices on Saturday. I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to study on campus or holed up in my study room with headphones in at home.


No comments:

Post a Comment