Tuesday, July 31, 2012

An anniversary and having a moment

This past weekend marked a year since my last day at work! I miss the people I used to work with, but glad to be moving forward professionally.

On Sunday the kids and I met my husband in Charlotte to celebrate my oldest child turning 8. It was hard when we were hugging goodbye to let go of my husband. He'll be coming to Durham this weekend so we can celebrate his birthday, but it is getting harder and harder to live apart. I don't know if it is the fact it has been a year or if it is because we were able to spend so much time together in July and I got used to living with him again... or the fact we were apart on our ten year wedding anniversary. That part of this whole going to graduate school experience has been the most difficult.

But hating it doesn't change that it is my reality so I should suck it up and keep going, which is how we've traditionally dealt with unpleasant things we can't change.

There was a strange moment when we were eating dinner together on Sunday when we were figuring out if we'd make Carowinds theme park the oldest child's birthday tradition (this is the second year in a row he's gone since it took him to age 7 to be tall enough to ride the fun rides)... It hit us that next year I'd have a job somewhere and we may have picked up and moved across the country by the time my son was 9. Exciting but scary!


2 comments:

  1. My hat is off to your husband, and father. Their support to your education is admirable. They are very confident in your abilities. I don't know if I would have had the guts to duplicate your feat. Hell, I salute all of you! E.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, really. Hopefully I remember to express to my dad and my husband how much I appreciate them and how I really couldn't do this without them!

      Delete