Monday, July 9, 2012

Orientation today!

This week is preceptor week, but before that starts in earnest we have orientation! More chapters will be added to our PA student manual and we will find out more specifically what we will be doing day to day.

We're transitioning from the predominantly classroom first year to the predominantly clinical second year, but not really feeling like we're really almost second years yet. Of course our second years are still here but they are all thinking about taking the certification exam, moving and starting their new jobs. I can't believe that will be us in a year! I can't believe they were us this time last year... they seemed like old pros by the time we arrived in August!

It is an exciting period. We'll bid farewell to our second year's, welcome our incoming first years, some of us will start work study positions (I won't have one, in large part due to not knowing what the children's schedule will be with sports and how much I will see them just with rotations, etc), and we'll try to make our way through our first experience in each of our rotations.

I still really need to practice frozen sections... I'm sure that'll happen this week sometime.

Also, my laptop has another virus... I've lost count. I really wish I could have had a Mac, but at least the incoming students seem to have been given the choice. Hopefully it means fewer visits to the IT department for them. 

4 comments:

  1. I was just telling the head PA in our department about your blog. After watching her, a lot of people have told me I should just become a PA as well. I am looking into programs close to me as I cannot move right now. I've had a lot going on these past couple of months, plus a new job. Anywho, congrats on making it to your second year, you're almost done! MAJOR ACCOMPLISHMENT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where do you live now? Just curious!

      But as far as if you should try for med school or PA school, you have to figure out if you'd be happy in the gross room or if you want to be looking at slides and making the diagnosis. Personally, I think it is a great profession with an excellent job outlook but I'm biased ;)

      Delete
  2. We definitely had a choice this year. The only downside was that there is no AppleCare with the macs. Still picked a mac though :) Already have everything mac anyways hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe try not to talk about it too much around Phelicia! A couple of us REALLY wanted macs and didn't get them so don't rub it in lol

      Delete