Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Glucose Metabolism and the Socializing Result

Today's lecturer is awesome. We're going to have him for 9 lectures this week and will be covering glucose metabolism, fatty acid synthesis, gluconeogenesis, the Krebs cycle and everything related to those topics. I'm pretty sure back when I took undergraduate biochem we spent the better part of the semester on this, but I'm sure doing it in greater detail in significantly less time will be fun too. :)

I am glad that the lecturer is funny and has a very approachable style of teaching because this would be a painful week otherwise. And on Friday he's going to do a lecture that summarizes everything he's gone over this week, which will be nice. His material is dominating this week's schedule so I have to imagine it will be a big chunk of test 2. This is a subject that I am fairly comfortable with and I actually like since I am better at biochem than I am at cell biology.

Today class is a little emptier than normal, but surprisingly the med students that closed out the bar with us seem to have made it in (with a few exceptions). It looks like the ones that hung out until 12:30, 1 am-ish stayed home. We were out with the med students  until the wee hours, I dragged into my apartment a little after 3 am so I'm not feeling super chipper myself at the moment. I know I could have stayed home and just streamed the video from the lecture today but I also know that I learn better from actually being in class (and I don't want to get in the habit of not coming to class).

The PA students got added to MS1 email listserve so we should now be getting their group emails (not just about things to do but also things like the note taking schedule). Everyone commented on how happy they were we came out and more than a couple people told us that we needed to spread out in class and that they wanted us to sit more with them. We do tend to sit as a solid block...  I had an incredibly geeky conversation with one med student where we decided that in biological terms that the PA students were analogous to a plasmid inserted into the MS1 genome--incorporated into the whole but of foreign origin.

No comments:

Post a Comment